Wednesday 19 June 2013

behind the scenes - part two

This is the third image in the series.  In this one the protagonist is dressed up as a mockery of a civilized man by his captors...



My main bother with this one was to work out what would happen if he was lit from two opposite sides by the lamps, one near, one a little further back... I quite enjoy problems like that!

Once I had established where I wanted the lamps, I washed grey tone over the paper to see the shape of the composition and the location of the various elements.  I sometimes find this more useful than a pencil rough as it leaves all the specific marks for later whilst giving a very good guide to where stuff is going to go.




As with the first image I reached a point where I was happy with the picture aesthetically without it doing its intended job!  I had wanted to have the central character surrounded by his captors.




To that end I added another figure in the foreground.  The costumes of these guys are inspired by English mummers...




9 comments:

  1. Hey Alexis, just got soonchild (HB) through the post, interiors look amazing! - definitely be buying more of your stuff (think ive already got Beegu somewhere)...p.s. great paper on the jacket, Ive been trying to get them to let me use the same on my new book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that paper nice? The perfect stuff for a snowy scene. Ben Norland was the designer on that book. I've got him to thank for that... among a million other things! Thanks for buying it btw ^-^

      Delete
  2. Nice nice! My friend made one of those straw costumes, but he and his family just lost all their stuff in a fire (the perils of Yurt dwelling). Btw I drew this guy just after we went to the Bellows exhibition and were talking about Lithograh pencil marks... http://www.joelstewart.co.uk/blog2/wicker.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is awesome! 'twould be a brave fellow who tried to set him on fire!

      Delete
    2. My Pig guy was made up. My friend's costume was more like this: https://twitter.com/Colonoclast/status/337458998762688512/photo/1

      Delete
    3. rocking! next halloween that's me!

      Delete
    4. Strangely, the new filter I bought for my aquarium arrived today, packed safely in this... https://twitter.com/joelestewart/status/348182816217001984/photo/1

      Delete
    5. The gods have spoken. You have been called.

      Delete
  3. (p)
    (Not to mention the perils of making your clothes from straw...)

    ReplyDelete